Dental hygiene is essential for every person. Dental hygiene affects not only your mouth, gum and breath but also your overall health. Bad breath or gum disease can lead to heart problems or even diabetes.
What is dental hygiene?
- According to a Dental Clinic from BTM, Bangalore, Dental health means cleaning your teeth daily, brushing your teeth at least three times a day.
- Flossing your teeth, taking out all the debris and food which are left over in between your teeth.
- Having regular checkups with your dentist, for any cavities, or sensitivity.
How will it affect your health?
- Plaques are bacteria that get left out after eating food; these bacteria settle above your gum. It is sticky and colourless that cling onto your teeth. If you don’t regularly floss your teeth, the bacteria turns into tartar which can later be only taken off by visiting your dentist. The dentist has procedures to remove it, that procedure is called scaling. If it is not treated it later forms into gingivitis which is gum disease, and this will make your teeth lose or either there will be teeth loss.
- This disease is called periodontitis, and it leads to heart problems, strokes etc. But why wait till it forms? You should start flossing regularly to not go through such procedures.
- If you do not take care of your teeth now later on when you grow old, you may have to face a lot of problems, like getting dentures since all your teeth have fallen. It will affect your health as it may cause weight loss and malnutrition.
- Always choose a toothpaste containing fluoride. Fluoride will prevent plaques from growing in your mouth which will also prevent you from diseases. Mouthwashes are also helpful, as containing fluoride in it.
- Avoid excessive intake of sugar, since childhood our parents tell us to have fewer candies and chocolates cause cavities in your mouth, It is true. Sugar causes weight gain, and it also helps the plaques grow in your teeth. Avoid tobacco, since tobacco leads to various dental issues and also oral cancer which is deadly for a person.
Due to these reasons, it is always good to go for a regular checkup with your dentist. A dentist can easily spot even if a cavity is about to grow and he will advise you to keep away from certain things and give you medication for not an only cavity but also other issues that are happening in your mouth which you may not know or have noticed in your mouth. The dentist also gives you particular toothpaste and mouthwashes, always use what the dentist gives since it will cure you and also avoid any more growth of bacteria and cavities.
It is not compulsory to go to your dentist every month since it is costly, but a regular checkup every two-to-three months is a must. A cleaning session for your teeth will make your teeth healthier and look great. A beautiful smile needs beautiful teeth, whiten them since there is an intake of many acids and food that have colour in it. Nobody would want a yellow smile.